blog

Black Pearl Weddings of London is
a superior boutique wedding planning
and consultancy service.


Saturday 27 September 2014

Black Pearl Weddings Meets Kevin Halfhill Modern Art & Design



Black Pearl Weddings feel privileged to have gotten to know the hugely talented Kevin Halfhill, of Kevin Halfhill Modern Art & Design.

Extremely skilled at taking your treasured images and reworking them with an edgy Pop-Art style, Kevin is capable of turning any photographs into exquisitely unique artwork, worthy of the most stylish penthouses, personalised phone cases, and much, much more.

With over two decades of experience in the art and design industries, Kevin is a true veteran that can bring knowledge skill and experience that leaves you rest assured that your memories will be turned into a masterpiece.

Please tell me a little bit about yourself and your business?

My name is Kevin Halfhill, and I enjoy the occupation of Artist. I’ve been involved with creative endeavours for most of my life, and professionally for nearly 20 years. I spent the better part of my 20’s and early 30’s as an art director for both print and web-related projects. A few years ago, I found that I wanted to refocus my professional career on fine art. Thus, I closed my web design shop and opened a small art studio instead. I began working on various private commissions and fine art prints for charities and non-profit organizations. Somewhere along the way, I created a portrait as a wedding gift for my friend Noe, who had recently married the love of her life. Soon after that, I began receiving requests for wedding portraiture. Much to my surprise, I discovered that I enjoyed wedding portraiture more than anything else I had been doing. It quickly became the focus of my studio and now it comprises the bulk of my schedule.


Please can you tell us about your services and products?

I create beautiful, unique wedding portraiture through illustration. My illustrations are based on photos of the couple, either from their engagement or wedding shoots. The style of art that I work with would be best be described as modern, geometric collage. The result is a very unique portrait of the couple. My illustrations are hand-drawn, and output as Fine Art Prints (for framing). I also do Gallery Wrap Canvas prints on request. I try to make my work as affordable as possible, so as to complement (and not compromise) couples’ photography and invitation budgets.

Couples frequently work with me for both their engagement and wedding portraiture. While my portraits most often find themselves hung in a couple’s home as decoration, they’re also quite commonly used in invitations, thank you cards, and entry placards.

Recently, I’ve begun offering post-wedding portraiture services, too: sonogram/ultrasound portraiture, newborn/child portraiture, and family portraiture. The sonogram/ultrasound portraiture in particular has been receiving a tremendous amount of positive feedback.



What advice would you give a couple when using your service?

It’s always best to submit between 2 and 4 photos for an illustrative portrait. My artwork is collage work, and several photos gives me enough elements to draw from when creating the portrait.

It’s also a good idea to keep in mind where you intend to hang the portrait. I don’t advocate creating a portrait (which you’ll keep for years to come) for a specific location; decor can and often does change, even in the same home. But knowing where the portrait will hang can set a tone for the work; something you intend to put in the living room might turn out a bit differently than something for the entryway or bedroom.

Lastly, I’d suggest finding a quality framer in your area. My portraits are shipped ready to be framed in standard, off-the-shelf frames. But for something this special, I think there’s merit in having a professional framer’s input; matting, frame selection, etc. People are often surprised by how much more impressive a portrait like this is when professionally framed.


What are your most popular products?

My most popular product is probably the Large Wedding Portrait. It measures 16in. x 24in. (406mm x 610mm). It’s perfect for so many things: the artwork can be used by invitation and thank you card designers; it makes a beautiful wall decoration in the home; it’s the right size for an entry placard.

Many of my couples also buy matching phone cases for their iPhones. These phone cases (also available for Samsung Galaxy) have the portrait boldly printed on them. Couples most often order these as an identical pair of cases. Sometimes, however, they order matching “his and hers” cases, featuring the groom half of the portrait on one case, and the bride on the other.


How will they benefit a couple?

I’d say one of the benefits lies in the uniqueness of the work. Family and wedding portraiture (original, illustrative artwork) is somewhat a lost art in our society today, vastly overtaken by the photographic portrait. Photographs are beautiful, but an illustration allows us to add a very special something….extra. Photographs of the most magical and beautiful memories can become just a little bit more magical and beautiful, in a way that a photograph can’t accomplish. This is a fresh, modern take on a very traditional concept, and as such I think there’s a certain pride couples can enjoy in that.

The phone cases are fun and a nice way to personalize what has become an integral part of our everyday lives: the smartphone. It’s another way to carry those cherished memories with you every day. The style makes it far more unique than just having a photograph printed on a phone case; it’s customized, designer artwork that’s sure to catch more than a few eyes when you send your next text or answer your phone.

For more information, or to get a feel of Kevin’s style and work, please take a look at his website, http://wearehalfhill.com